zvon'ish' vs zv'onish'

Shrager, Miriam mshrage at INDIANA.EDU
Fri Mar 10 19:13:11 UTC 2006

Nina,

I believe I addressed this issue in my previous message. The problem is
that there is a difference of dialectal norms. In Ukrain the norm has
root stress in both these verbs, but the Russian one has end-stress. If
the norm was based on other Russian dialects, other pronunciations
would have been possible. But, as of today, this is the only correct
and standard form. Others (e.g., p'onjala, pozv'onish, etc.) are
dialectisms.

Miriam Shrager