Opera ...

Mills Charles cmills at knox.edu
Fri Mar 10 20:21:31 UTC 2006

Notice, though, that "see" begins to sound much better in tag questions:

- I went to the opera last night.
- Oh yeah? ...
a.  What did you see?
b. %What did you hear?

The preference for vision is most pronounced over the radio when the host's only choice is to say "See you tomorrow" (*"Hear you tomorrow"), unlike the case in German and Czech.  I've even heard the blind use "See you later"!

CM