Are we postcolonial?

Condee condee at PITT.EDU
Sat Mar 11 05:02:25 UTC 2006

I appreciate your clarification.  I was referring to toilet paper.

Prof. Nancy Condee, Director
Graduate Program for Cultural Studies
2206 Posvar Hall
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
412-624-7232

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Daniel Rancour-Laferriere
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 9:06 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Are we postcolonial?

Dear Professor Condee,

You wrote:

 Now let's get
back to the purer topics: opera, _zvonit'_, and the holies.

But what could be "purer" than the topic of "rossiiskii" vs "russkii"?
This is a linguistic issue (and therefore appropriate to SEELANGS), and
it is an issue with enormous political consequences in the post-Soviet
space.  It is an issue of great psychological importance to both ethnic
Russians and minority peoples in today's Russian Federation.  It should
not be trivialized.

I'll grant that Tishkov's proposal to distinguish "Rossians" from
"Russians" may not be so "pure," since it concerns English rather than a
Slavic language.  But it has a parallel in the Russian language
("rossiiane" vs. "russkie").  And it is a proposal honestly put forth by
one of Russia's (Rossia's) most distinguished ethnographers.  Why not
discuss it?

Sincerely,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere