kofe

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Fri Mar 10 22:39:04 UTC 2006

Someone pointed out the Cyrillic was garbled in
my last post ... for me as well.
Sorry!! whatever I do with my e-mail, this seems
to happen. This particular excerpt was dragged
from the Russian on-line library, and obviously
not very "udachno."

Let me try typing it, we all need a bit of comic relief:

-- Vtuk;yz z9 Hjgvrkd,z Kvnhkdyg9 yt .e;e hnm,
rkan/   _dgj7 rkanq_  --- vrgpgl Ndgy Zrkdtldnx9
--- g dbtvmk mkuk [kxtmvz byt v¾tvm, ukjzxtuk
[lt.]g v lerkb7
Mk tvm,9 Ndgy Zrkdtldnx  [kmtl .s n mkuk n
;jeukuk9 yk pygl9 xmk .slk vkdtjityyk ytdkpbk'yk
mjt.kdgm, ;de[ dtotq jgpkb9 n.k Hjgvrkd,z
Kvnhkdyg kxty, yt l/.nlg mgrn[ hjn[kmtq7
---4 Hevm, ;ejgr tvm [lt.1  byt 't lexot9 ---
hk;ebglg  hjk vt.z vehjeug9 -- kvmgytmvz rkan/
lniyzz hkj]nz7 4

In adapted translit (no diacritics on hushing
sounds), so that the i kratkoe shows:

--Segodnja ja, Praskov'ja Osipovna, ne budu pit'
kofij **  -- skazal Ivan Jakovlevich -- a vmesto
togo xochetsja mne s"est" gorjachego klebca s
lukom.
(To est', Ivan Jakovlevich xotel by i togo i
drugogo, no znal, chto bylo sovershenno
nevozmozhno trebovat' dvux veshchej razom, ibo
Praskov'ja Osipovna ochen' ne ljubila takix
prixotej.) "Pust' durak est xleb; mne zhe
luchshe, -- podumala pro sebja supruga, --
ostanetsja kofiju lishnjaja porcija."
** another text has "kofiju" here

"Today, Praskov'ia Osipovna, I shall not drink
coffee [rkanq], said Ivan Iakovlevich -- instead
I feel like eating some hot roll with onion."
(That is, Ivan Iakovlevich would have liked both,
but he knew that it was completely out of the
question to request two things at once, for
Praskov'ia Osipovna really disliked such whims).
"Let the moron have his bread, -- thought the
good wife to herself -- there'll be an extra
serving of coffee [rkan/] left."

Text in the Russian on-line library:
http://az.lib.ru/g/gogolx_n_w/text_0100.shtml

Hope that clarifies it, and thanks for the
Chekhovian added example from Chekhov!
-FR

--

Francoise Rosset