Soup opera?

J.W. vanya1v at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 11 00:44:15 UTC 2006

Ottawa (Canada), Friday 10/3/06 19h00 EST

Dear SEELANGERs,

So you think you've had enough of opera?

At the risk of opening another can of wormicelli, here's a related
question:
Едим ли суп (Edim li sup)?  Или пьем ли суп (Ili p'em li sup)?  The
question is equally valid in English.  Is soup something we eat or
drink?  Or do we simply avoid such controversy by 'having' it (anyone
know of a good neutral Russian equivalent here?).  Perhaps, as in the
case of seeing or hearing an 'opera', someone might be able to dredge up
a class distinction or two.

And while we're in the culinary field, помидоры -- фрукты или овощи?
(pomidory -- frukty ili ovoshchi?)  It could be said that a tomato
(which for me, by the way, rhymes with 'staccato', not 'potato', but
that's a whole different cucumber field) is 'etymologically' a fruit and
'eat'em-ologically' a vegetable.  А с тыквой, вполне наоборот, по крайне
мере в отношении к пирогу (A s tykvoj, vpolne naoborot, po krajnej mere
v otnoshenii k pirogu).  Quite the reverse with a pumpkin, at least as
applied to a pie.  Any class distinctions here?

Oh yes, one more point about 'opera' -- Latinists might point that it is
the plural form of 'opus'.  Presumably one could then hear: "Didn't you
think the opera were pretty good last night?"  To which one might reply:
"I'm sorry I missed them -- my agenda were too full."  Come to think of
it, by a similar token, is the word 'SEELANGS' singular or plural?

These kinds (or is it 'This kind'? or 'These kind'?) of
semantic/grammatical questions could fill a book.  Perhaps one has
already been written?  If not, are there any taker-uppers for the
challenge (present writer excepted on the grounds that he has too much
on his plate already)?  I'm sure the current SEELANGS postings could
furnish the brave soul with at least a chapter or two!  In any event,
they certainly make for an interesting soup opera!  Can't wait for my
next SEELANGS digest (pun intended)!

Приятного аппетита!  Enjoy!

(Mr) John Woodsworth
Certified Translator (Russian-English)