Rossians and Russians

Joshua Wilson jwilson at ALINGA.COM
Sun Mar 12 12:58:26 UTC 2006

This American would pronounce it just as you do.

There are very few contexts in which the double "s" will be
pronounced "sh" and when given a new word, most (I think Americans and
everyone else alike) will pronounce it with rules and not the
exception.

It also helps that we use the names "Ross" (Rahs) and "Ian" (Eean) in
the US.  Put them together for the pronunciation below.

> Okay, speaking as a linguist, how will Americans pronounce
> Rossians?  I would pronounce it [rahsee'uns], but I bet lots of
Americans