Rossians and Russians

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Sun Mar 12 20:12:36 UTC 2006

Dear Jules,
Good question.  I think Tishkov had the idea that we would pronounce
"Rossians" as if it were the name "Ross" (as in Fort Ross) with "ians"
tagged on - so there would be no confusing [sh] sound involved.  It
would rhyme with, say, "Panglossians."

Thus rossiiane would be Rossians, while russkie would be Russians.  The
offensive nationalist slogan "Rossiia dlia russkikh!" (Zhirinovskii and
the LDPR crowd) would come out "Rossia for the Russians!," and might
sound less puzzling and exclusionary to the English ear than "Russia for
the Russians!"  I can still recall cautious American Jews saying their
ancestors were "Russian," and feeling that something was being left
unsaid...

However, I realize Tishkov's proposal is probably unrealistic, for the
habit of just using the blanket term "Russians" to refer to people who
live in Russia or who come from Russia is firmly entrenched in English.
I have not seen anyone utilizing Tishkov's terminology (correct me if I
am wrong).  In my own book I utilized the term "ethnic Russians"
whenever there might have been doubt that it was "russkie" I was talking
about.

And then of course there is the problem within the Russian language
itself of whether you can be "russkii" and something else combined.  For
example, "russkii evrei" is a commonplace.  But "russkii nemets"? - I
have heard it said that this expression is perfectly normal (e.g., the
large emigre population living in Berlin), while others have said it is
impossible.  And "russkii tatar"?  But "rossiiskii tatar" would be fine,
would it not?

Regards to the list,

Daniel RL