Rossians vs. Russians

Mills Charles cmills at knox.edu
Sun Mar 12 23:46:38 UTC 2006

>Okay, speaking as a linguist, how will Americans pronounce
>Rossians?

Sorry to add to the clutter in your in-box.  This strikes me as an excedingly
esoteric discussion.  But, for what it's worth, in contrast to my distinguised
colleagues, I would without hesitation pronounce "Rossians" ['ro.shuns].

First, note that there is no [s] in Russia or Russian, but rather a [sh].  Second, this
is dictated not by the orthographic double-s (-ss-), but rather by the combination
of word-initial accent in conjunction with a following -ia- which subjects the
preceding coronal to palatalization, as numerous examples will show.
---