Russian Germans

KatarinaPeitlova peitlovakatarina at TISCALI.IT
Mon Mar 13 09:47:37 UTC 2006

"Russian Germans" -  russkie nemcy - we mean only Germans living in Russia  -  they are usually Russian citizens but German "nationality" (nacional'nost'). That's a  particularity of  multiethnical political systems we still have in Central Europe - see Czech and Slovak Republics, where is rather normal to hear "Slovak  Hungarian" - Slovensky Madar or Madarsky Slovak - " Hungarian Slovak , we mean
a  citizen of Slovak Republic   but  has a Hungarian nationality or contrary - in Hungary they live persons who are Slovaks so we call them  Madarski Slovaci
Hungarian Slovaks.
In Jugoslavija live Srbski Slovaci (Slovak nationality but Serbian Citizens) and so on.
This "duality" did exist even in ancient Austrian-Hungarian monarchy,were the people were distinguished by their "mother tongue" - f.e. you could have been an Austrian citizen and Hungarian mother tongue.Or Czech mother tongue.

Katarina Peitlova,PhDr.
Italy