Russian Germans

atacama@global.co.za atacama at GLOBAL.CO.ZA
Mon Mar 13 10:08:52 UTC 2006

This debate is still active among the Russian-Germans themselves.
some like to be called Russlanddeutsche, others like
Deutsch-Russen, some are disparaging and talk of
Sowietdeutsche, and a new word is trying to creep in now
which I quite like as it is very descriptive:
Tzarendeutsche, Tzarskie-nemtzy =
who are Russlanddeutsche who had not 'tainted' themselves by
living under Soviet regime by fleeing ca. 1918-1922.
All very political I am afraid - and all very loaded terminology....
you either hate it or love it.
Socialogists love this shading of meanings.

Vera B-M