Russian Germans / Rossians and Russians

Peter Morley pete.morley at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 13 16:27:56 UTC 2006

> > Is the usual Russian expression:  "shvedskie finny" or "shvedy
> > Finliandii"?

A colleague (native Russian speaker) and I just puzzled over this for a few
minutes. Neither version above really sounds comfortable, although he said
"shvedskie finny" was OK. In the end we settled on "Finny shvedskogo
proizkhozhdenie". He also noted that Russians refer to the "russko-yazychnoe
naselenie latvii" for example - although in this case it is different as the
Russians in question are not Latvians (at least, not all of them enjoy
Latvian citizenship).

PM