Russian Germans / Rossians and Russians

Mon Mar 13 16:07:50 UTC 2006

John Dingley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My British English ear agrees with Paul Gallagher's "Italian
> Americans (Americans of Italian descent)", etc, but not with his
> "Finland Swedes". This jars.

I agree that it is not the most felicitous construction in English; I
also found it jarring as I listened to the Olympic hockey broadcasts to
hear constructions like "behind the Finland goal" rather than the
expected "behind the Finnish goal." But as you note, it seems to be the
established term, probably based on a literal translation of the Swedish
term.

Asked to invent a term from scratch, I would have to say either "Swedish
Finns" like "Italian Americans" or "Finnish Swedes" following the
Russian model, and I would favor the former.

> I would only say "Swedish Finns", thus agreeing with the Finnish
> "suomenruotsalaiset" and the Swedish "Finlandssvenskar". However,
> Google comes up with 17,600 for "Finland Swedes" and only 695 for
> "Swedish Finns". (Is this a British vs. American thing?)

> Is the usual Russian expression:  "shvedskie finny" or "shvedy
> Finliandii"?

Anyone who answers, please reply to the list; I would be very interested
in seeing the results.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com