Russian textbooks of the "teach yourself" variety - suggestions?

Jennifer Scoggins jenniferjscoggins at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 14 13:46:45 UTC 2006

Nicole,

  I second Mr. Biyata's suggestion. "Ðóññêèé ÿçûê â óïðàæíåíèÿõ. Ó÷åáíîå ïîñîáèå (äëÿ ãîâîðÿùèõ íà àíãëèéñêîì ÿçûêå)" is the textbook utilized by MGU for begiing Russian students. I also like "Survival Russian:  A Course in Conversational Russian by N.B. Karavanova."  Survival Russian should be issued to all international students planning on studying in Russian.  It covers all those things that don't seem to get covered in the basic russian classes here in the states.  Both books have answers to the exercises in the back of the book which I found helpful during study hours when immediate feedback wasn't available from an instructor.  However, I can imagine that both books might be difficult to acquire in the US.  The Rossetta Stone software is also a great supplement for visual learners.

  Kind Regards,

  Jennifer Scoggins

"Mr. Mykhaylo Biyata" <info at ECHOEE.COM> wrote:
  Dear Nicole,

What do you think about "Ðóññêèé ÿçûê â óïðàæíåíèÿõ. Ó÷åáíîå ïîñîáèå (äëÿ
ãîâîðÿùèõ íà àíãëèéñêîì ÿçûêå)", Ñ.À. Õàâðîíèíà, À.È. Øèðî÷åíñêàÿ (Russian
in Exercises. Textbook (for English Speaking Students), S.A. Khavronina,
A.I. Shirochenskaya?

The book's Annotation, Contents + Text Sample, Front Cover, Back Cover on
http://www.echoee.com/books_eng.html#2.1.2

Or students need something else?

Best regards,
Mikhail

> Dear SEELANGStsy,
>
> I've had a request (I should say, yet another request!) to recommend a
> good
> beginning Russian textbook of the "teach yourself" variety. My usual
> response (to talk the student into a college Russian course, and
> preferably
> mine!) is not appropriate this time, which thus leaves me at a loss - I
> know
> almost nothing about the genre (except that I knee-jerkedly scorn it when
> walk by the language section of Barnes and Noble).
>
> I am highly interested to hear the opinions of those of you who DO know
> something about the genre.
>
> Best,
>
> Nicole
>

> ****************************
> Dr. Nicole Monnier
> Assistant Professor of Instruction
> Director of Undergraduate Studies (Russian)
> German & Russian Studies
> 415 GCB
> University of Missouri
> Columbia, MO 65211
>
> phone: 573.882.3370

options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:

"Development occurs when people are able to acheive what makes their lives valuable." - Amartya Sen