Russian textbooks of the "teach yourself" variety - suggestions?

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Tue Mar 14 16:12:37 UTC 2006

At the risk of showing my "low-brow" tastes, I have gotten a lot of use
out of the British "Teach Yourself" series.  I taught an evening
Community Ed Russian course at a local community college for several
years using one of the Russian textbooks in this series.  I will tell
you that it has problems with footnoting new vocabulary (or even
including them in the dictionary at the end) and some of the grammar
explanations are subpar, but the textbook did fulfill a few of the
categories I was looking for for this type of class:  1)  it came with
tapes (now CD's) included in the price, 2) there were answers in the
back, 3) language was pertinent to an adult student with plans to visit
Russia and get around (as opposed to your average college student
talking about campus life) , 4) there were useful dialogs and a lot of
realia used in the exercises, 5)  it contained a lot of cultural
information that was relatively up-to-date, and 6) it was cheap $20-$30
for the full package including audio.  My anticipation for this group
of students is that they would attend classes at the community college
for maybe 1-2 quarters and then either give it up or head to Russia, or
continue on their own or...  This book is small enough to slip into a
suitcase as a reference book and a student studying on their own could
use it independently for quite awhile.

There are two beginning Russian textbooks in the Teach Yourself series,
your student will probably want the one written by Daphne West as this
essentially covers all of the grammar usually covered in a first-year
college course.  The other book entitled "Beginners Teach Yourself
Russian" stops short of the genitive case.  Any students using this
series will want to invest in a good Russian-English//English-Russian
dictionary and it might be a good idea to get a general grammar
reference book as back-up for some of the explanations.  But the
exercises generally get students through things well.

Alternatively, I have also looked a bit at the Colloquial Russian
textbook and it is a bit "rougher" than the Teach Yourself Series --
ie. it moves faster through the material and students would need to
have a good head on them to "keep up."  But at first blush it seemed
decent as well.

And for what it is worth, I have enjoyed dabbling in a variety of
languages using both the Teach Yourself and Colloquial series:  Farsi,
Mongolian, Hungarian, Turkish, Chinese, Korean...  (didn't get too far
in any of them except maybe the Turkish and Mongolian) and found most
of them to be relatively useful for the student who can't get to a
class.

Hope this helps!

Emily Saunders
Olympia, WA