Kundera and Bakhtin?

Zielinski zielinski at GMX.CH
Wed Mar 15 08:56:37 UTC 2006

> I would say yes, he had access to Bakhtin's work, if not in Czech and
Russian,
> then for sure in French. Kundera was an erudite and very much versed in
> literary theory. Moreover, he studied musical composition, meaning that
his
> polyphonic novels were inspired rather by musical theory than by
Bakhtinian
> ideas of heteroglosia.

Good point, Mirna. There is a paper on this aspect:

  Benson, Stephen.
  a.. For Want of a Better Term?: Polyphony and the Value of Music in
Bakhtin and Kundera
  [Access article in HTML] [Access article in PDF]
  Subjects:
    a.. Bakhtin, M. M. (Mikhail Mikhailovich), 1895-1975 -- Views on music.
    b.. Kundera, Milan -- Views on music.
    c.. Music and literature.

Jan Zielinski