Kundera and Bakhtin?

Mirna Solic mirna.solic at UTORONTO.CA
Wed Mar 15 02:43:48 UTC 2006

Hello,

I would say yes, he had access to Bakhtin's work, if not in Czech and Russian,
then for sure in French. Kundera was an erudite and very much versed in
literary theory. Moreover, he studied musical composition, meaning that his
polyphonic novels were inspired rather by musical theory than by Bakhtinian
ideas of heteroglosia.

best,
Mirna Solic

Quoting "Armstrong, Todd" <ARMSTRON at GRINNELL.EDU>:

> Colleagues,
>
> A student of mine is working on a study of Kundera in the context of
> Bakhtinian theory. I am wondering whether anyone has information about
> whether Kundera would have had access to Bakhtin's work (in Russian or
> in Czech translation).
>
> Please respond to me off-list. Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Todd Armstrong
> Grinnell College

iskoni bje slovo.
mirna.solic at utoronto.ca