Orthodoxy & Identity in Post-Atheist Russia, March 31

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Thu Mar 16 06:38:12 UTC 2006

"Post-Atheist Russia?"  I know that this is just an announcement for a
conference, and I hope that the title does not suggest that atheists
need not attend, but the title is misleading.  Communist ideology itself
was a religion, according to prominent religious philosopher John Hick.
Russia was never "atheist," so how can it be "post-atheist?"  True,
militant atheists smashed icons and killed Orthodox believers during
portions of the Soviet period, but theism (including Orthodox
Christianity) continued to exist.  Veneration of icons of the Mother of
God was particularly resistant to repressive measures taken by the
authorities.  See, for example, a photograph of a procession of hundreds
of venerators of the Surety of Sinners icon in Khamovniki in 1948 -
figure 13 in my book:

> http://www.book-review.ru/news/news3251.html

I am an atheist myself most of the time, but some of these icons and the
akathists sung to accompany their veneration occasionally force me to
suspend disbelief.

Regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere