Is psychoanalysis a heresy?

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sat Mar 18 07:06:25 UTC 2006

Dear Inna and all,

I can tell you one small incident from Queen Mary College, University of
London.  In class a student made a striking, somewhat psychoanalytic,
interpretation of a passage in a Chekhov story.  Later in the year I
expressed regret, when reading an essay she had written about this same
story, that she had not followed up this line of thought.  I may also have
said a few words about being in psychoanalysis myself.  Her reply: 'Oh, I
wish I had known you were interested in psychoanalysis! I'd love to have
followed up those thoughts, but at the beginning of the year we were told
that psychoanalytic interpretations were disapproved of!'  This, I think,
was at some general meeting for students of humanities.

I'd be interested, Inna, if you could forward me at least some of the
exchanges in the discussion you mention.

Best Wishes,

Robert