Psychoanalysis and Russian Studies

George Mitrevski mitrege at AUBURN.EDU
Tue Mar 21 21:57:52 UTC 2006

Here is my beef with psychoanalytic approaches to literature.
Many years ago as a graduate student I recall reading a psychoanalytic study of a character in a Russian novel, perhaps Raskolnikov. How ridiculous, I thought, to be reading a psychoanalytic study of the figment of someone's imagination, by a person with a degree in literature! What next?  A medical analysis of the narrator's diseased liver in "Notes from the Underground"? By a literary scholar?

George.

Foreign Languages                 tel. 334-844-6376
6030 Haley Center                  fax. 334-844-6378
Auburn University
Auburn, AL 36849
home: www.auburn.edu/~mitrege

>>> Daniel Rancour-Laferriere <darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET> 03/21/06 2:42  >>>
Dear Federica,
Sounds interesting.  But in what sense is the book "psychoanalytical" if
it is titled "Semiotika bezumiia"?  What psychoanalytic concepts are
employed?  Please describe the contents.

Thanks,
Daniel RL