Psychoanalysis and Russian Studies

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Wed Mar 22 22:02:28 UTC 2006

22 March 06

Dear George Mitrevski,
I think your "beef with psychoanalytic approaches to literature"
constitutes evidence of "negativity" to psychoanalysis which Inna Caron
says she did not find (see below).  More specifically, however, Inna
Caron says:

>I have not witnessed any Russian/Slavic studies professor silence a
>student mid-sentence if the latter ventured into psychoanalysis

Well, I have - as I reported in 1989 on page 17 of the _Russian
Literature & Psychoanalysis_ volume.  I was the student, the university
was not located in California, and the professor (whom I shall not name)
declared, "That's preposterous," when I ventured a psychoanalytic
interpretation in the classroom.  End of discussion.  The professor
would not even consider the matter further.  So this is in addition to
the example provided by Robert Chandler.

That was many years ago, when I was a graduate student.  After that, it
worked the other way.  I have had graduate students and even
fellow-faculty members denounce my psychoanalytic interpretations to the
administration of a certain university, and in one case I almost lost my
job.  Fortunately, I had a very good lawyer, many people became involved
inside and outside the university, and academic freedom won the day.  As
for trying to publish psychoanalytic interpretations of Russian
literature and culture, there are many stories there, too, such as my
failed attempt to get an essay (in part) on Eugene Onegin's homoerotic
proclivities (as perceived in Tat'iana's dream) into the journal
_Russian Review_ back in the 1980s (I later placed the article
elsewhere, both in English and in Russian).  Correct me if I am wrong,
but nowadays, I understand, Onegin's place in the gay world is taken for
granted.

But to return to Mitrevski's "beef."  The character in question is
Raskolnikov.  The "ridiculous" psychoanalysis was apparently performed
by someone "with a degree in literature."  But what is there to prevent
a person with "a degree in literature" from studying other fields in the
process of literary study?  Is interdisciplinary effort a complete waste
of time?  Think of Roman Jakobson, who combined literary and linguistic
analysis with such fruitful results.  In any case, both literary
scholars AND practicing clinical analysts have psychoanalyzed
Raskolnikov (see the bibliography in the above-mentioned volume, pp.
20-37).  Dostoevsky offers such deep insight into Raskolnikov's psyche
that psychoanalysis cannot but apply.

The major problem with psychoanalysis today is not that it does not
"apply" outside of the clinical context, but that it is becoming
increasingly irrelevant IN the clinic.  It is way too expensive (about
$100-$175 per 50-minute session last I heard) for ordinary people, it is
no more effective than other forms of talk therapy, and it is quite
INeffective by comparison with drugs in the treatment of certain
disorders such as schizophrenia or bipolar illness.  As I argue in an
edited volume _Self-Analysis in Literary Study_ (NYU Press, 1994),
insight into one's unconscious motives and conflicts can be very
interesting intellectually, but such insight does not necessarily cure.
By the way, all of the contributors to that volume but me were English
professors.

Shall we "exhume" further, as Inna Caron says?  I'm game.  But I'll be
equally happy to drop the subject.

Regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere

PS.  I apologize to Mark Konecny for giving a gratuitously satirical
response to his 21 March message, which was posted in good faith.