Did others receive ancient messages?

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Thu Mar 23 17:33:44 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues:

Shades of the past (23 years ago).

In the batch of SEELANGS current posts which I received today (when I clicked "Reply" to
the "Index" & sent that to "Seelangs-Search-Request," as I do daily), the batch of messages
contained mainly various posts about "psychoanalysis" and "translation question."  So far
so good.

But mixed in among those legitimate current messages were TWO ANCIENT "GHOST
MESSAGES," from Jouko Lindstedt (1993) and Richard & Joanna Robin (1991).
They are attached below.   DID ANYONE ELSE RECEIVE THOSE 2 GHOST MESSAGES
today? -- Steven P Hill, Univ. of Illinois.
_ ___ __ __ _ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ _ _ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ _ __ ___

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:31:20
From: "CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK/CIS LISTSERV Server (14.5)"
<LISTSERV at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: GETPOST SEELANGS
To: Steven Hill <S-HILL4 at UIUC.EDU>
_ ___ __ _ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1993 15:52:56 +0300
From: Jouko Lindstedt <jslindst at WALTARI.HELSINKI.FI>
Subject: injustus aut impotens

In the Slavonic Vita Constantini (Cyrilli), probably dating from the
IX century, St. Cyril explains why God has given equal rights to all
nations and languages, and makes use of an argument which Grivec has
translated from Church Slavonic into Latin as follows:

 "Dicite mihi, utrum Deum facientes debilem, ita ut non possit
  hoc dare, an invidum, ita ut nolit?"

(XVI:6 of the Vita Constantini, where those who read Church Slavonic
can check the original wording.) I.e., since something is right, God
should be either weak or evil if he didn't grant it. The editions of
VC I have checked (Grivec & Tomsic, Angelov & Kodov) do not seem to
be aware of any source for this argument. Now, there is something
very similar in Cur Deus homo of Anselm of Canterbury, liber II,
caput XIX (or caput XX according to another numbering):

 "Imo necesse esse video ut Pater Filio retribuat: alioquin aut
  injustus esse videtur, si nollet, aut impotens, si non posset,
  quae aliena sunt a Deo." (PL vol. 158)

This is an almost identical argument -- albeit for a different cause.
What could be the primary source, perhaps some Father of the Church?

Jouko Lindstedt
Institutum Slavicum, Universitas Helsingiensis
Department of Slavonic Languages, University of Helsinki
<jslindst at waltari.Helsinki.Fi> or <Jouko.Lindstedt at Helsinki.Fi>
letters: P.O.Box 4, 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
fax: +358-0-1912974