Applied psychoanalysis in Slavic Studies

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Fri Mar 24 07:37:20 UTC 2006

Dear Svetlana Grenier:
To answer your question: my article finally appeared as: "Pushkin's
Still Unravished Bride: A Psychoanalytic Study of Tat'jana's Dream,"
_Russian Literature_ XXV-II, 1989, pp. 215-258.  The Russian translation
appears in my _Russkaia literatura i psikhoanaliz_ (Moscow: Ladomir,
2004, 161-192).

A few years after the article first came out I heard an interesting
paper on the subject at a conference.  The paper was about Onegin's
place in Russia's nascent gay culture.  I forget who it was that was
re-inventing my wheel, but I did lodge a complaint.  Then I lost
interest in the subject.  But I am sure there are some people lurking
out there on the SEELANGS list who could enlighten us further on
Onegin's place in the Gay pantheon.

As for bisexuality generally from a psychoanalytic perspective, see the
entry "Bisexuality," in: Burness E. Moore and Bernard Fine,
_Psychoanalytic Terms and Concepts_ (New Haven: Yale University Press,
1990, p. 33).  By the way, this book also now exists in a pretty decent
Russian translation.

Best regards,
Daniel Rancour-Laferriere