Applied psychoanalysis in Slavic Studies

Svetlana Grenier greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Thu Mar 23 22:27:34 UTC 2006

Alina Israeli wrote:

> What I don't understand is this: if Onegin is gay (or exhibits latent
> homosexual tendencies, whatever is the correct term), how come he fall in
> love with a woman at the end of the novel?
>
> Bisexuality is a well known phenomenon.  There exist real people who
> are capable of falling in love with people of either sex.  If so, why
> not fictional people too (like the fictional males in _Brokeback
> Mountain_)?  In Onegin's case, though, explicit homosexuality is not
> shown, partly because it would have been forbidden, partly because
> Onegin is so in love with himself (in psychoanalytic terms:
> exaggerated narcissism, manifested by the culture of Dandyism, all
> those hours in front of a mirror, etc.).  The symbolic (Peirce would
> say iconic) clincher, however, is Onegin's plunging his dlinnyi nozh
> into the body of Lenskii.

Professor Rancour-Laferriere,

Would you mind giving the reference to the specific article(s) in which
you (or others) explain all this from a psychoanalytic perspective?
Thank you very much,

Svetlana Grenier
Georgetown University