Applied psychoanalysis in Slavic Studies

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Thu Mar 23 21:44:13 UTC 2006

Dear Colleagues,
There have been many questions raised, and they deserve a response here,
even though most of them have already been answered elsewhere in the
literature on applied psychoanalysis.

Alina Israeli wrote:

What I don't understand is this: if Onegin is gay (or exhibits latent
homosexual tendencies, whatever is the correct term), how come he fall in
love with a woman at the end of the novel?

Bisexuality is a well known phenomenon.  There exist real people who are
capable of falling in love with people of either sex.  If so, why not
fictional people too (like the fictional males in _Brokeback
Mountain_)?  In Onegin's case, though, explicit homosexuality is not
shown, partly because it would have been forbidden, partly because
Onegin is so in love with himself (in psychoanalytic terms: exaggerated
narcissism, manifested by the culture of Dandyism, all those hours in
front of a mirror, etc.).  The symbolic (Peirce would say iconic)
clincher, however, is Onegin's plunging his dlinnyi nozh into the body
of Lenskii.

George Mitrevski writes:

Also, to do any
kind of justice to a psychoanalytic study of a character (real of
fictional), wouldn't one need to have some practical experience in the
field, at least an advanced degree in the field and some clinical
practice with real individuals? Are you trying to convince me that the
typical student or scholar  of Russian Literature has enough practical
experience in the field to do psychoanalysis?

"Advanced degree?"  Does education stop upon the receipt of a degree?
Freud said that clinical practice was only one of the applications of
psychoanalysis (and of course he had no training whatsoever in
psychoanalysis; his advanced degree was in neurology).  And who said
that only the mentally ill have a psyche?  The only reason we tend to
associate psychoanalysis (or psychology generally) with the clinical
situation is that that is where the money is.  Everybody has a psyche,
and everybody is psychoanalyzable, but is is when a psyche goes awry
that money changes hands, institutions are created, degrees are
awarded...  By the way, it is standard practice in the psychoanalytic
institutes to assign readings in Dostoevsky.  What many of Dostoevsky's
characters say is just the sort of thing you will hear on the couch.

Yes, you do have to educate yourself in the basics of psychoanalysis if
you want to apply it (to literature, to film, to non-Western cultures,
to gender studies, etc.).  Besides Freud's _Interpretation of Dreams_
(the founding work of psychoanalysis), one should learn about all the
other movements as well: Jungian depth-psychology, object-relations
theory (Klein, Winnicott, etc.), attachment theory (Bowlby),
self-psychology (Kohut), and so on.  It is hard work, but rewarding.

George Mitrevski further writes:

>A student turns in a paper
>to me that is a psychoanalysis of some literary character. Wouldn't it
>be appropriate for me to ask: "Excuse me, but, do you have a degree and
>practical experience in psychoanalysis? If not, then how did you come up
>with the notion that character X suffers from Y and Z?" And let's assume
>for a moment that the student is qualified to do all this. I, not being
>qualified in psychoanalysis, have absolutely no clue if the findings in
>the student's paper are valid or not. In such a situation I, too, would
>"not even consider the matter further."

Assuming that you do in fact have zero knowledge of psychoanalysis, then
you should be sure that the student demonstrates his or her knowledge of
the subject by making sure the student quotes the relevant sources and
develops the argument with close reliance on those sources.  I myself
had to do this when a student knew more than I did, for example the
engineering student who demonstrated for me that the mathematics
propounded by D-503 in Zamyatin's _We_ is faulty.  I gave him an A.
Similarly, if a student offered you a coherent argument - based on
footwork in the library and searches on the internet - that the behavior
of Boris and Gleb in the Skazanie about them was masochistic in essence,
then you would have to recognize such work as legitimate.

George also writes:

>I'm wondering, does the Journal of the American
>Psychiatric Association publish articles by literary scholars that are
>based on the psychoanalytic study of fictional characters? Is research
>on fictional characters considered valid in their profession? Is a
>literary scholar who has written several volumes on psychoanalytic
>analysis of fictional characters actually qualified to get a license to
>practice psychotherapy? If not, then how can I trust that his/her
>psychoanalysis of a character (fictional or real) is valid?

The answer to the first two questions is Yes.  (I think you mean
_Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association_, or JAPA).  I
myself have published in psychoanalytic journals (in English, Russian,
and French), though I have no "advanced degree" in psychoanalysis per
se.  As for the third question, clinical experience is required for
people who wish to get a "license" to practice psychotherapy in this
country.  Keep in mind that clinicians are people who want to cure
people, and it makes sense that they learn something about how to
interact with patients face-to-face, when to resort to medications,
etc.  I myself have no interest in curing people and, unlike many
psychoanalysts I know, I refuse to believe that EVERYBODY is mentally
ill.  So I have taken the trouble to learn psychoanalysis, spend time on
the couch, do self-analysis in a diary - but I have no need for a
clinical degree, given that I do not treat patients.

In post-Soviet Russia, by the way, there are psychoanalysts who have set
up a practice on their own, with no prior clinical experience or
training.  I am acquainted with such people.  I am also acquainted with
analysts there at the other extreme, that is, who have had a full
training analysis with Russian-speaking analysts in the West and have
returned to Russia to practice.

Frederick H. White writes:

>I would like to argue in favor of such interdisciplinary
>work.  If we are going to be restricted so that literary critics only
>talk about books and psychiatrists only talk about patients, then what
>do we do with authors like Sylvia Plath who talks about her illness
>experiences in her literature?  There is a movement in the medical
>humanities that suggests that medical people can learn from the
>humanities and vice versa.  There is a journal called Literature and
>Medicine which does try to cross this boundary.

I agree.  And the contributors to this journal come not from just one
field, but from many.

Chris B. Clough asks:

>Just out of curiousity, when we talk about the psychoanalysis of
>literary characters, is there any aspect of the "analyzer" putting a
>teaspoonful of whatever ails him into his own analysis?

Yes there is.  I have argued that "It takes one to know one," somewhere
in the self-analysis volume.  This argument has even been used against
my work.  But it is true, you do need a motive for getting to work on an
analytic project.  Same as with fiction.  They say, "Write what you
know!"  That's why there is so much of Tolstoy himself in _War &
Peace_.  But there is much else too.  Same with psychoanalytic study of
literature.  Just a "teaspoonful."

Enough for now.

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere