diagnosis liver disease, bisexuality, and other analytical pursuits

nataliek at UALBERTA.CA nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Fri Mar 24 16:31:51 UTC 2006

First I would like to say that I have very much appreciated the
discussion of psychoanalytical approaches to literature.
Psychoanalytical approaches to folklore were once very important
(Bettelheim, von Franz).  Now they have virtually been forgotten.  So
reading a discussion of psychoanalytical approaches to literature has
been most informative.

Now I would like to add my two cents.  There have been very interesting
analyses written not only of the mental makeup of the characters in
literature and art, but also of the physical diseases that might, or
might not, plague them.  I remember an article in Science, I believe,
that tried to diagnose the ailments that might be afflicting a figure
in a painting.  I unfortunately don't remember which painting.  Why is
this interesting and important?  Figures in literature and in art shape
our imagination.  They are, or become, iconic.  So seeing what diseases
of the body or of the mind capture our imagination tells us something
about ourselves.

Natalie Kononenko Kule Chair of Ukrainian Ethnography
University of Alberta
Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
200 Arts Building
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2E6