Soc. Realist Short Stories/Sketches in English?

Elizabeth A. Papazian papazian at WAM.UMD.EDU
Fri Mar 24 17:10:59 UTC 2006

Hello Seelangovtsy!

I am wondering whether anyone might recommend a "soc. realist" short
story (rasskaz or povest'), or collection of short stories, or
"sketches" (ocherki) from the Stalin era -- in English.  Best of all
would be if it/they were available on the internet.  Out of print would
also be fine.  I'm looking in particular for really "typical" pieces,
but something a bit different, such as V. Grossman's "In the Town of
Berdichev" (is it translated somewhere?) would be of interest as well.

Thanks very much for your help.  Please reply offline and if there is
interest, I will compile the replies and post to the list.
Best,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth A. Papazian
Assistant Professor of Russian