The Bible in Russia

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Fri Mar 24 20:16:09 UTC 2006

24 March 06

>Can anyone recommend a good survey on the Bible in Russia (Russian)? It's one of
>those topics that I really don't feel very confident about (about my knowledge,
>that is).
>
>Also, has there been anything published on Bible reading in Russia? It's such a
>part of protestant/evangelical culture, I've long  wondered if there is (was)
>any Russian equivalent, either among the Orthodox or the sects.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Is there anything on the Bible reception in Russia, esp. in the modern
>
>period (18th-20th cents.)?

Dear Colleagues,
I'm surprised that these questions by Peter Scotto and Alexander Kulik
have been ignored.  I too am interested in the history of the Bible in
Russia (and earlier, in Rus').  Checking in James Billington's _The Icon
and the Axe_ (Knopf 1978), I found some scattered information, but there
must be something more recent, comprehensive, and useful.  It is known
that the Russian Bible Society did exert considerable (and
controversial) political influence in the 19th century, but that a full
Russian (as opposed to Church Slavonic) Bible did not come into
existence until 1876.  Imagine that - the same time that _Anna Karenina_
appeared.  Could someone out there provide some useful references?

Thank you.

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere