Onegin again

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Fri Mar 31 03:33:12 UTC 2006

30 March 06

Dear Colleagues,

During the 2004-2005 season the San Francisco Opera performed
Chaikovskii's version of Pushkin's _Evgenii Onegin_.  I quote from the
program notes that were handed to all of us as we entered the hall:

"After all the guests have left the ball, Onegin desperately tries to
convinve himself that he feels just as passionately about Tatyana as she
once felt toward him." (from "Synopsis," p. iii)

"He [Chaikovskii] became the veritable whipping boy for Romanticism's
worst sins of excess: sentimental self-indulgence, overwrought
emotionalism, and - most tellingly, given the thinly veiled misogyny and
homophobia of the charge - out-of-control 'hysteria'.  'Too much
information' seemed to be the uneasy refrain from the guardians of
taste."  (Commentary by Thomas May, p. vi).

"Underlying this catastrophe [the duel with Lenskii] is the
unacknowledged suggestion that Onegin has experienced feelings for
Lensky transcending pure friendship.  But instead of openly avowing his
emotions. . . ." (Commentary by Johannes Schaaf and Wolfgang Willaschek,
p. ix).

"It was of course difficult for Tchaikovsky to openly acknowledge his
homoerotic tendencies in the society of his time,  His famous
relationship with his nephew Bob mirrors the admiration that Onegin
cherishes for Lensky."  (Ibidem, p. xi).

"Onegin admires Lensky for a poetic vein, which in his own case comes
out as sarcasm or irony.  He feels a tight connection to Lensky - not
unlike the attraction Socrates felt for Alcibiades."  (Ibidem, p. xii).

"Onegin kills what he loves most. . . . "  (Ibidem, p. xii).

These comments, it seems to me, demonstrate that Onegin's latent
homosexuality - or his gayness, if you prefer - is detectable even by
non-psychoanalysts.

Regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere