Onegin again

Rebecca Jane Stanton rjs19 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Mar 31 15:38:53 UTC 2006

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere wrote:

>These comments, it seems to me, demonstrate that Onegin's latent
>homosexuality - or his gayness, if you prefer - is detectable even by
>non-psychoanalysts.

Or that biographical criticism is alive and well and critics use it
liberally in interpreting the work of Tchaikovsky!  I have no opinion
one way or the other on Onegin's sexuality (in Pushkin's original or
Tchaikovsky's opera), but Tchaikovsky's sexuality seemed very much on
the table in the commentary you were so kind as to excerpt.

I note, certainly not by way of reproof but for anyone on the list to
whom it may be useful information, that "homosexuality" and "gayness"
are not interchangeable as critical terms; "gayness" encodes a political
identity generally thought of as available only after the 1969 Stonewall
riots.  So technically neither Pushkin's Onegin nor Tchaikovsky's can be
"gay," though either or both could be homosexual (and I suppose a
modern-dress production of Onegin could present him as being both).

Regards to the list,
RJS