Jane Austen in Russia?

Shrager, Miriam mshrage at INDIANA.EDU
Mon May 1 16:59:59 UTC 2006

Dear Cathy,

I am among those who have been speculating on that subject for a while,
not only of Pride and Prejudice and Evgeny Onegin, but other books of
Jane Austin as well. My speculations, however, are based on structural
similarities found in the texts themselves. Regarding the question of
traces of Jane Austin's books in Russia, I found something which may
support this idea:

Last summer I was visiting in Carskoe Selo and Licej. Among the English
books of Licej's library I saw Jane Austin's books. I was told that the
present museum library contains the original books which were in Licej.
If it is true, it means that Pushkin had access to Austin's novels.
Whether he indeed read them, I don't know. I don't recall it being
mentioned in his dairy.
There is also another possibility that these books were added to
Licej's library later. I would appreciate any information on that
subject.

Best,
Miriam Shrager (Masha)