In the beginning

Svetlana Grenier greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Wed May 3 16:19:00 UTC 2006

Dear Yevgeny,

When Onegin is "letia v pyli na pochtovykh" he does not know that his
uncle is dead (as I pointed out in my first e-mail) and is expecting to
spend some time "poluzhivogo zabavlia[ia]".  We find out what actually
happened in ch. I, LII.  Which means that at least in this instance the
phrase does not mean "kick the bucket".

Regards,
Svetlana Grenier