buying power of 30K rubles in 1740?

Elif Batuman ebatuman at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 5 19:30:39 UTC 2006

Dear SEELANGERS,

I'm currently writing about the House of Ice built by Anna Ioannovna
in 1740, which cost 30,000 rubles.  I was wondering whether anyone
could provide some kind of standard for how much 30,000 rubles was
worth in 1740.  I know it might be difficult to name an equivalent in
modern-day currency, but any kind of "benchmark" would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Elif Batuman