about Witches & Bones-throwers

atacama@global.co.za atacama at GLOBAL.CO.ZA
Thu May 18 08:14:31 UTC 2006

In  Baron v Ungern-Sternberg's (The Bloody Baron)
biography during the Russian Civil War,
we are now encountering that he consulted
soothsayers, fortune-tellers, etc...regarding when
time auger well for battles.

Now a new lovely word I encounter is
verb: <Vorozhit'>
and consulting with <vorozhi>
soothsayers, hexes, fortune-tellers, diviners, etc...

What is the origin of the word?
Could it be <vorchat'> ?
something akin to (horse)-whispering ?

any other good words for
vorozhba, socery, witches, hex., dividers, whisperers,
enchanteress, kalduns, whizzards and other good Russian
pre-Christian stuff ?

Another group (German-Russians)
tells me that they play an ancient Russian Volga game
throwing bones (not fortune-telling as in Africa),
but a child's game with knuckles.
It's called "Bannock", but bones in Russian are "Kosti".
So, what is the name of the knuckle bone throwing game
of children of old in Russia ?  Knuckles are "sustavy".

Thanks....

Vera Beljakova