about Witches & Bones-throwers

Hugh Olmsted hugh_olmsted at COMCAST.NET
Thu May 18 18:29:42 UTC 2006

Vera--

For the moment, just about the origins of  vorozhit', vorog, vorozhba.

It's got nothing to do with konevorchanie, loshadesheptanie or with
vorchanie voobshche.

It's a reflex of the normal East Slavic root vorog- 'evil, inimical/
enemy, bane, misfortune' which is also so familiarly represented in
its South Slavic variant in the OCS/RCS borrowing in Russian vrag,
and known throughout the Slavic world in its appropriate phonetic
guises.  From Common Slavic *varg-/*vorg-.

Cf. Lithuanian vargti [circumflex accent on r]  'be impoverished',
'be in torment',  Latv. vargt [long a] 'be ailing', 'pine away';
Lith. vargas [circumfl. on r] 'misfortune, misery', Latv. vargs [long
a] 'puny, sickly', Old Prussian wargs 'evil, malevolent'.  Other
relatives are known in Germanic, Latin, and elsewhere.

Hugh Olmsted