query about copyright

nataliek at UALBERTA.CA nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Thu May 18 20:53:05 UTC 2006

Dear Fellow list members,

I'm looking for some illustrations and would love to use lubki.  I know
that a number of folklore books have used lubki as illustrations.  Here
is the question (or rather questions): are lubki in the public domain?
If not, who holds the copyright?  What about lubki that have been
reproduced in books?  Who owns those?

On a related topic, does anyone know of books with drawings that could
be used to illustrate Slavic folklore?  I have found photos that are
outside copyright restrictions.  But some drawings would be nice,
especially for beings of the imagination like the domovoi/domovyk,
leshii/lisovyk, etc.  Again, these have to be in the public domain.
This means published before 1923.

Thanks in advance.

Natalie Kononenko

Kule Chair of Ukrainian Ethnography