query about copyright

Janice Pilch pilch at UIUC.EDU
Tue May 23 18:15:55 UTC 2006

Dear Natalie,

Public domain status is based on the law of the country where
the work is being used. A work can be protected in one
country and in the public domain in another, and determining
this involves a number of factors. Do you intend to make use
of the works in the U.S. or in Canada?

If there is an identifiable author, that author holds the
initial rights, but the individual may transfer those rights
to any other party, for example, to a publisher, or to an
heir or other assignee, at any time. If an eligible work is
anonymous, it still qualifies for copyright protection, and
that copyright term is usually based on the date of creation
or publication.

If lubki or lubki-type works are reproduced in books, and the
original works are protected, the individual authors (or
their assignees or hers, etc.) hold the copyright. In
addition to this, there may be a copyright in the book as a
whole, as a compilation. In this case, the original author
(or assignee, heir, etc.) holds the copyright to the original
images, and the editor or compiler holds the copyright to the
compilation, as a derivative work. If the original works are
not protected, the compiler still holds the rights to the
compilation.

In the case of folk works, there are additional
considerations. Folk works are a gray area in copyright law
today, not all the issues have been resolved. Some nations
treat folk works differently from “normal” works, by
stipulating in their copyright law that folk works are
protected, or the opposite-- that they are not. General
characteristic of folk works are that they have no
identifiable authors or dates of creation, they are
unpublished, and in the case of oral works, they are not
fixed in material form.

So if any of the lubki or lubki-type prints you wish to use
have identifiable authors or dates of creation, they should
be treated as “normal” works and not as folk works, and the
provisions of U.S. or Canadian law will apply if you intend
to use them in either country. If the lubki are truly
anonymous and don’t have dates of creation, they can more
likely be considered true folk works, and lucky for you:

The Russian Federation (where I assume all the lubki you want
to use originated) does not extend copyright protection to
folk works, and the USSR did not at any time provide
protection to works of folk expression. The U.S. does extend
copyright protection to expressions of folklore as original
works of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression.
In Canada the scope of copyright protection for works of
folklore is grayer.  However, because the lubok tradition
ended in the early 20th century, lubki would not have
received protection in the U.S. or Canada under the Universal
Copyright Convention because the USSR joined that convention
in 1973. And they would not have had their copyright restored
under the Berne Convention in the U.S. or Canada because they
were not protected in the RF on January 1, 1996. So, all this
leads to the answer: real lubki are not protected today in
the RF, U.S. or Canada.

Compilations of lubki may be protected as derivative works,
depending on when and where they were first published. If a
compilation is still protected, you are not authorized to
reproduce the selection or arrangement in whole or large part
without permissions, i.e. you cannot reprint a published
collection of lubki if it is still copyrighted. But the
individual prints would not be protected.

The key thing for you is to make sure that you are dealing
with real lubki as folk works and not lubki-style prints that
can be attributed to an author or that have a defined date of
creation. And it is important to distinguish between original
works of folklore and compilations of folklore, which may
qualify as derivative works, in order to make the appropriate
assessments on copyright protection.

Finally, I am offering this advice as chair of the AAASS
Bibliography and Documentation Subcommittee on Copyright
Issues. I have to add the customary disclaimer that I am not
a lawyer and not authorized to give legal advice. The above
information should not be taken as legally binding, but only
as informal assistance to provide some direction for you.
Please feel free contact me directly if you have any further
questions!

Sincerely,

Janice Pilch