rogatye avtomaty

Inna Caron caron.4 at OSU.EDU
Sat May 20 14:32:50 UTC 2006

Literary translation won't work? "Horned" doesn't cut it? It could
create an allusion to the horned helmets of the Teutonic knights, with
all the profound symbolism...

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Robert Chandler
Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2006 10:23 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] rogatye avtomaty

Thanks to all of you who have written in with helpful suggestions.
Footnotes are evidently not being allowed, so I do have to find a one-
word
translation. 'spiky' is much better than anything else I've come up
with.
Or perhaps 'spiky-looking'?

R.

> Well, how about "spiky"? Just a modest suggestion.
>
> HTH
> Henry Whyte
>
> Inna Caron wrote:
>> Could mean one of two things. Either (most likely) Grossman refers to
>> Schmeissers, which is what Elena's Dad described as well, or to
MG-42.