Montehomo, the Hawk's Claw, Chief of the Ever Victorious

Vladimir Shatsev shatsev at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed May 24 04:47:49 UTC 2006

Dear Seelangers,

I am looking for the title of  a  presumably very well known novel of
Thomas Mayne Reid . He was enormously popular in Russia . Volodya and his
friend Checvetsin in Chekhov's  short story " The Boys"(1897) are very fond
of this writer.

"and wrote in it as a souvenir: "Montehomo, the Hawk's Claw, Chief of the
Ever Victorious."

In which novel of captain  Mayne Reid I can read about this Montehomo ? Now
I am writing a play based on this story for kids around 8-11 years old
because of it I  read and reread this story more attentievely than before.My
actors are children of new Canadian Russians . They already paid  attention
for the route of the Chekhov's characters."First to Perm . . . "
Chechevitsin  said, in an undertone, "from there to Tiumen, then Tomsk . . .
then . . . then . . . Kamchatka. There the Samoyedes take one over Behring's
Straits in boats . . . . And then we are in America. . . . There are lots of
furry animals there. . . ."
"And California?" asked Volodya.
"California is lower down. . . . We've only to get to America and California
is not far off. . . . And one can get a living by hunting and plunder."
So,the boys had an idea of going to wonderful California through Alaska and
Canada.How they could move just in theory in 1897? Does Mayne Reid wrote
something about Canada or lake Ontario,Huron,Superior? Which books of James
Fenimor Cooper or somebody else about Canada of XIX century  the boys could
just in theory read and enjoy. Any SUGGESTIONS ?

Thank you in advance,
Vladimir Shatsev.