Montehomo, the Hawk's Claw, Chief of the Ever Victorious

Zielinski zielinski at GMX.CH
Wed May 24 08:13:21 UTC 2006

Vladimir Shatsev:

> I am looking for the title of  a  presumably very well known novel of
> Thomas Mayne Reid . He was enormously popular in Russia . Volodya and his
> friend Checvetsin in Chekhov's  short story " The Boys"(1897) are very
fond
> of this writer.

Interestingly enough, the Nobel-prize Polish writer Czeslaw Milosz starts
his essay on Mayne Reid with the very same quote from Chekhov, if I remember
correctly.

Jan Zielinski