Something better than "Little Vera" (film course recommendation)

Seth Graham sbgraham at STANFORD.EDU
Thu May 25 17:50:59 UTC 2006

Dear Nicole (and list),

I do think _Little Vera_ is indispensible, both as a glasnost film and a "gender-relations"
film, so you should probably consider showing at least a (stomachable) clip.  It's also one of
the few Russian films written by a woman.  That said, however, there are a handful of other
films you might consider, including Rolan Bykov's _Scarecrow_ (Chuchelo, made in 1984 but
shelved until perestroika), Viachaslav Krishtofovich's _Lonely Woman Seeks Life Companion_
(Odinokaia zhenshchina zhelaet poznakomit'sia, 1987) and _Adam's Rib_ (Rebro Adama, 1990), Petr
Todorovskii's _Intergirl_ (Interdevochka, 1989), and Valerii Todorovskii's _Love_ (Liubov',
1992).  The first part of Kira Muratova's _Asthenic Syndrome_ (Astenicheskii sindrom, 1990)
might also work.

All the best,

Seth
_____________________
Seth Graham
Humanities Fellow
Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures
Building 40 (Main Quad)
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-2006
sbgraham at stanford.edu

Quoting Nicole Monnier <monniern at MISSOURI.EDU>:

 Dear SEELANGStsy,

 I'm teaching a summer course on Russian women and film, and at the moment, I
 have "Little Vera" on the syllabus as the glasnost'-era film of greatest
 (female) gender interest (!). However, the thought of showing it frankly
 turns my stomach. Does anyone out there have any counter-suggestion? I'm
 also willing to hear from the more film-learned that I should stomach my
 stomach and just show the darned film.

 Conflicted,

 Nicole

 Dr. Nicole Monnier
 Assistant Professor of Instruction
 Director of Undergraduate Studies (Russian)
 German & Russian Studies
 415 GCB
 University of Missouri
 Columbia, MO 65211