акционерное обще ство

Renee Stillings | Alinga renee at ALINGA.COM
Mon May 29 18:50:25 UTC 2006

> In the same spirit, I find it unhelpful to render the Russian alphabet
> soup of corporate names, which are meaningful to the Russian reader,
> with a transliterated alphabet soup in English that renders them
> meaningless. =

Agree that the alphabet soup is completely meaningless - and suspect that
most Russians now would not even recognize most of it. Any document with
only this soup (kasha is more like it!) and no clear introduction of the
full names is irresponsible.

> Neither do I. I've been using "constituent documents" as a catch-all
> term for charters, bylaws, articles of incorporation, etc., but if
> there's a better native (American, not British) term I would welcome it.

In a quick check with my husband (working late in the Moscow office), he
says he, and many in his firm, prefer to use "foundation documents," citing
this phrase from a letter going out to a client today from one of his
associates concerning the establishment of an OOO as typical usage:

"Initial drafts of the foundation documents of the Russian subsidiary will
be provided to you shortly."

Typically in Russia, the foundation documents would include a charter and a
foundation agreement (reshenie o sozdanie, I believe). Articles of
Incorporation is just another equivalent to a charter. Some jurisdictions
(like Cayman) have a Memorandum  of Association (equivalent to a Foundation
Agreement) along with the Articles.

As to joint-stock - it may not be of British origin. He clarified that it
was introduced in Russia in the early 90's by some western lawyer, who "did
not know what he/she was talking about" since Blacks Law Dictionary defines
joint stock company as an unincorporated association, precisely the opposite
of what it really is.

Renee