Solzhenitsyn and Natalia Reshetovskaia question

Mark Yoffe yoffe at GWU.EDU
Wed May 31 14:58:29 UTC 2006

I hope someone on the list has an answer to this:
I came across of Natalia Reshetovskaia (Solzhenitsyn's first wife) book of memoirs titled V spore so vremenem. It describes somewhat critically but with attempt of being objective her history of life with the writer. The book is published in 1975 by Izdatel'stvo Agenstva pechati Novosti, presumably in Moscow. Author's date on the book is 1969 - 1974 gg. And this is mostly period that she is talking about.
The book freely mentions unpublished in the USSR and highly controversial there at the time books such as V kruge pervom, Avgust 14go, and even Archipelag GULAG. The book was published at the time when even Solzhenitsyn's name was anathemized. These forbidden and unpublished books were only mentioned in most critical context as works of a traitor, as slander and utter lie and disgrace. Though in Reshetovskaia books they are mentioned rather matter-of -factly, and no specific criticism of these books is given. My question is what is the story of this strange Soviet publication? How Reshetovskaia book was even possible in SU in 1975? Who in Agenstvo Novosti published it? Why was it published if the book was not utter slender of Solzhenitsyn, though it is critical of him? What censorship/ideology apparatus stands behind this publication? Who was an editor? For what audience this book was intended?
I would appreciate any information or theories on this subject.
Mark Yoffe, GWU