Solzhenitsyn and Natalia Reshetovskaia question

E Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Wed May 31 15:29:43 UTC 2006

I remember reading the American edition when it came out:

Author/Creator:
Reshetovskaia, Nataliia A., 1919-
Uniform Title:
V spore so vremenem. English
Title:
Sanya : my life with Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn / by Natalya A. Reshetovskaya
; translated from the Russian by Elena Ivanoff.
Published:
Indianapolis : Bobbs-Merrill Co., [1975]
English language ed.

284 p., [8] leaves of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.

My reaction was approximately "The authorities asked Reshetovskaya, who
was angry at Solzhenitsyn already, to write a book that would discredit
Solzhenitsyn before an English-speaking audience. But they wanted it to
look sincere, not like heavy-handed propaganda, so they allowed her to
include personal details and information about his works." What I can add
now is that the same authorities presumably realized that their book would
be less successful if the English-reading audience discovered that it had
never been distributed in Russia, so they decided to print a small number
of copies (in fact, what is the tirazh on your copy of V spore so
vremenem?) in Russian. But how many of them in fact reached the
bookstores?

--
Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu