Solzhenitsyn and Natalia Reshetovskaia question

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed May 31 15:56:35 UTC 2006

> (in fact, what is the tirazh on your copy of V spore so
>vremenem?) in Russian. But how many of them in fact reached the
>bookstores?

If I ever dig out my copy, I could tell you, but Mark Yoffe could probably
do it quicker since he has it in front of him.

In defense of Reshetovskaya (not personally, but conceptually, as a person
used and discarded) I could recommend a little known book by Ilya
Zil'berberg "Neobxodimyj razgovor s Solzhenitsynym" published in the West,
a very rare book in fact because to my knowledge close friends of
Solzhenitsyn were bying it out and destroying it.

In defense of Solzhenitsyn I could say something he allegedly said to a
noted literary critic about leaving his first wife: "I never had children
before."

Reading Reshetovskaya's book is an interesting excercise, because you can
trace two modes or two styles: where she speaks as a person (appropriately
bitter, who shared the worst times but not the glory) and where either she
or someone else adds the lingo of the day, which is somewhat remeniscent of
a style Lixachev called "literaturnyj etiket": a prince was supposed to be
appropriately praised (so was the Soviet ruler), enemies were supposed to
be chastized etc.

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University
 4400 Mass. Ave., NW