Slavic Graduate Studies at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

Lilya Kaganovsky lilya at UIUC.EDU
Thu Nov 2 18:02:21 UTC 2006

The Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures at the University
of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, invites prospective graduate students
to apply to our program. We offer an M.A. in Russian Literature and
Culture and a Ph.D. in Slavic Languages and Literatures, with
emphasis placed on cultural and interdisciplinary studies and study
in more than one Slavic field.

In the past five years, the UIUC Slavic department has experienced a
renaissance and we are excited about the new opportunities we can
offer to our graduate students. Most recently, we have welcomed
Professors David Cooper, Michael Finke, and George Gasyna to the
faculty at UIUC, as well as extended affiliate appointments to
faculty in History and Art History. The faculty of the UIUC Slavic
department represent a broad range of interests and methodological
approaches, including the intersections of literature and law,
medicine, and psychoanalysis; Russian-Jewish Studies; intellectual
history; gender, sexuality, and the body; Stalinist culture; film
history and theory; Czech revival culture; nationalism and
literature; Polish modernism, postmodernism, and visual culture;
exilic and émigré literature; and East European pop culture. We
invite you to consult our list of faculty and their recent
publications to appreciate the rich variety of their research (http://
www.slavic.uiuc.edu/people/).

The University of Illinois has valuable resources for graduate study
in the Slavic fields. The Russian, East European, and Eurasian
Center, a federally-funded national resource center established in
1959, sponsors a variety of programs—including the annual Summer
Research Laboratory on Russia, Eastern Europe, and Eurasia—and funds
graduate student conference travel and fellowships. The Slavic
Library is home to the third largest collection in North America and
is the central resource for the Summer Research Lab. We also maintain
close ties with the Program in Comparative Literature, the History
Department, the Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory, the Unit
for Jewish Studies, and the Unit for Cinema Studies. The department
regularly hosts and co-sponsors conferences and participates actively
in cross-campus and interdisciplinary initiatives.

Most students admitted to the program receive teaching
assistantships, which include all levels of Russian, Polish,
Ukrainian, Czech, Serbian and Croatian, Bulgarian, Yiddish, and
Turkish. There are also opportunities to teach undergraduate
literature and culture courses. Some students gain an insider’s
perspective on scholarly publishing through editorial assistantships
at Slavic Review. The Slavic department is also able to offer
university fellowships and research assistantships to some incoming
and continuing graduate students. The Foreign Language Area Study
(FLAS) fellowship administered by the Russian, East European, and
Eurasian Center has consistently provided our graduate students with
funding for both introductory and advanced training in Slavic
languages. University scholarships are available to minority
students. UIUC also offers competitive on-campus and off-campus
dissertation fellowships.

To learn more about the opportunities and resources at UIUC and to
learn how to apply, please visit our website (http://
www.slavic.uiuc.edu/graduate/).

If you have any questions about our graduate program or if there is
any way in which we could be of assistance, please do not hesitate to
contact us:

Richard Tempest (rtempest at uiuc.edu),
Acting Head, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures

George Gasyna (ggasyna at uiuc.edu),
Director of Graduate Studies