Evening march (?) in Kapitanskaya dochka

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sun Nov 12 12:40:11 UTC 2006

Dear all,

Can anyone explain why Zurin¹s detachment, after being quartered for some
time in a town, appears to march off on campaign in the EVENING, in
February?(!)

Here are the relevant lines in my draft translation: Œ  Zurin¹s detachment
was to leave the town (vystupit¹ iz goroda v tot zhe den¹) that same day;
having little time to spare, I said goodbye to Maria Ivanovna there and then
(...)  I returned to Zurin¹s quarters, silent and downcast. He wanted to
cheer me up and I was glad to be distracted; after a day of riotous gaiety,
we set out in the evening.

The last words of the original, which is from shortly before the end of
chapter 13, are Œvystupili v pokhod¹.

This is so odd that I keep wondering if I have failed to understand
something obvious.

Best wtishes,

Robert