Fwd: [SEELANGS] Translitaration Rules?

June Farris jpf3 at UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Nov 13 01:47:13 UTC 2006

Hello!
There is no one correct transliteration system.  Every country using
the Latin alphabet has its own systems of transliteration from
Cyrillic to Latin alphabet. There are several in North America.  If
you have no restrictions from your institution, your publisher or the
journal  in which you're publishing (each is likely to have its
preferred system) , then I suggest that you use the Library of
Congress transliteration system.  Most North American library
catalogs, as well as many electronic databases (WorldCat, RLG Union
Catalog, MLA, Absees Online, Historical Abstracts, the RLG Russian
Acedemy of Sciences database, etc.) use the Library of Congress
system. Therefore, if someone is looking up one the citations in your
footnotes or bibliography, he/she will not have to re-transliterate
your citation into the Library of Congress system (which uses no
diacritics) to perform a search.

You can find the LC system for Russian (and other Cyrillic alphabet
languages) at: http://www.indiana.edu/%7Elibslav/slavcatman/sltrans.html

Regards,
June Farris

>Dear All,
>
>Could anyone enlighten me about the rules of Russian to English
>transliteration (used when rendering Russian titles, for example)? Is there
>a set of rules that is currently considered _standard_ across Slavic
>studies? Is it MLA?
>
>Best wishes,
>Andrey Shcherbenok

June Pachuta Farris