Trans-Sib Railway as Depicted in Literature

Josh Wilson jwilson at ALINGA.COM
Thu Nov 16 07:43:25 UTC 2006

This rings largely true to me.  I've ridden in many Russian trains, and
never found a Russian that romanticizes them the way that Americans do, for
instance.

However, it seems that at least during the railway's planning and
construction that some people must have made literary statements about it.
After all, the railway would have promised to bring peoples and economies
together like never before and many Russian intellectuals had long wanted to
do this. Or has it really always been so prosaic?

JW

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at listserv.cuny.edu] On Behalf Of Jon Kyst
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:14 AM
To: SEELANGS at listserv.cuny.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] SV: [SEELANGS] Trans-Sib Railway as Depicted in
Literature

I think it's going to be hard to find modern Russian texts about the
Trans-Siberian Railway as such. To the foreign tourist, it's the famous
Trans-Siberian Railway. There must be hundreds of travel descriptions
available from people who bought a ticket from Moscow to
Vladivostok/Beijing. However, the closer you get to the railway, it simply
becomes the train you take to go from one place to another in Siberia.
Other, more recently built railways are at least as culturally significant.
Especially if they didn't have an easy birth, like BAM.

My 5 kopecks,
Jon Kyst
Ph.D.
Lecturer of Russian