another cyrillic keyboard mystery

Mon Nov 20 22:49:18 UTC 2006

ben franklin aka John Leyzorek wrote:

> Just another appeal from a very low-level computer user, for information
> on how to either email in Cyrillic alphabet, or write in the MSWord
> program in Cyrillic, or both.  I found some discussion in your archive
> on both, but it was over my head, or perhaps i didn't find all of it.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Please clarify the following:

1) What operating system (including version) do you have?

2) What email program (including version) do you use, or are you using
webmail? In the latter case, what browser (including version) do you use?

3) What version of MS Word do you have?

4) Do you want a standard Russian keyboard (ЙЦУКЕН... on the top row),
or do you want a so-called "phonetic" keyboard that maps Cyrillic
letters to similar-sounding characters on the QWERTY keyboard?

Your answers will determine which of the many available solutions are
best for you.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com