Folklore study at the Univ. of Alberta

nataliek at UALBERTA.CA nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Wed Nov 29 04:18:58 UTC 2006

Dear Seelangers,

On behalf of my colleagues, I would like to announce the following
opportunities here at the University of Alberta.

Study Ukrainian Folklore at the University of Alberta

The Department of Modern Languages and Cultural Studies at the
University of Alberta is now accepting applications for the Ukrainian
Folklore program for the 2007-2008 & 2008-2009 school years.

Students can take individual courses or achieve a BA, MA or PhD in
Ukrainian Folklore. Study the effect that traditional ideas have on
modern cultural life both in Canada and Ukraine through folktales,
material culture, customs, rites and rituals. Some classes are taught
in English while other deal with folklore original texts. Senior level
courses are designed to be flexible, allowing students to pursue
individual interests and support thesis research.

Our professors are well known in the world of Folklore as well as
Ukrainian studies Dr. Andriy Nahachewsky directs the Peter and Doris
Kule Centre for Ukrainian and Canadian Folklore Director and holds the
Huculak Chair in Ukrainian Culture and Ethnography.  He and Dr.
Natalie Kononenko, Kule chair in Ukrainian Ethnography oversee all
graduate student thesis projects.

In conjunction with the Peter and Doris Kule Centre for Ukrainian and
Canadian Folklore students have access to the Bohdan Medwisdsky
Archives at the University of Alberta where students can utilize a
wide variety of resources from both Canada and Ukraine including:
texts, artifacts, interviews and recordings.  The Medwidsky Archive is
a pioneer in the collection of folklore materials and uses the most
modern collection techniques.  Students at all levels are encouraged
to actively participate in research and will be able to increase the
body of their work significantly through these projects.

Graduate programs offered: Masters - approx. 2 years, Post Doctorate -
approx. 4 years. Graduate students must have achieved a bachelor
degree from an accredited university.

Folklorists work in a number of areas including; education,
government, culture, business, travel, museums, fine art, marketing,
nursing and even in the legal system.
Funding available for qualified students

Apply now to begin study in fall of 2007. Application Deadline May 2007.
International applications normally due January 15 for study to begin
in the fall.
For more information or to apply to our program please visit:
		www.mlcs.ca
		www.ukrfolk.ca
or call
		Phone: 780-492-6906
		Fax.: 780-492-9106
For graduate programs:
		mlcsgrad at ualberta.ca
		Mail to: Jane Wilson - Graduate Programs
		Department of Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
		200 Arts Building
		University of Alberta
		Edmonton, AB Canada T6G 2E

Natalie Kononenko